"if the eye is a camera and the film is the heart then the photo assistant is god."(Giovanni 26-27) This is one way that Nikki Giovanni, author of "Photography" expresses her idea that life is like photography. In this poem, the author uses phrases like this to show the importance of these symbols in life. The author's use of metaphors, imagery, line breaks, and symbolism illuminates the author's idea that life is like photography.
In this poem, the author uses symbols and metaphors to explain the relationship between life and photography. Some of these symbols and metaphors are: the camera to represent an eye (sight), the heart that represents film (memory), and the brain to represent knowledge. Some of these symbols are shown where the author states "if the eye is a camera and the film is the heart than the photo assistant is god"(Giovanni 26-27) This means that in life, if the camera is an eye or sight then the heart holds those memories or 'pictures' and the photo assistant is god because he/she controls those memories.
The author uses line breaks to emphasize her opinion about photography and ideas of life.
In this poem, the author uses line breaks especially in the second stanza to explain her ideas about life. This is shown where the author states "it's easy sitting in the sun/ to forget that cold exists/ let alone envelopes/ the lives of people."(Giovanni 8-11)The line breaks help show the reader the author's idea that when a person's life is going well, this person will believe that others' lives are going well even though this is not always true.
In this poem, the author also uses imagery to show the comparison between life and photography. an example of this is where the author states "watching the red sun bleed into the ocean."(Giovanni 23-24) These lines show a vivid description of sight which is compared to a camera in this poem. This symbol is important in this poem because it shows the similarities between life and photography.
This poem, "Photography" by Nikki Giovanni makes me realize the similarities between photography and life. The author portrays these similarities using symbolism, line breaks, imagery, and metaphors.
Popular Posts
-
After reading "Growing Up Saudi" by Karen Elliot House, I believe that the author wants readers to learn about young people i...
-
One book I read over the summer was The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. This book is about two teenagers who live in 1997 ...
-
I am the color red. Of bricks that make up buildings before the sun lets them fade. The color that escapes when cuts bleed. Of h...
-
One thing I find inspirational is visual art. I think this inspires me because of my interest in it. One piece of artwork that I think ...
-
After reading Flawless by Sara Shepard, I noticed that the author tries to show that death is an important issue in this book. The aut...
-
Childhood Memories My first time moving, food allergies, my little brother being born, and losing my first dog. New be...
-
In my book "The Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick, the main character Pat Peoples has a mental illness called Bipolar...
-
"if the eye is a camera and the film is the heart then the photo assistant is god."(Giovanni 26-27) This is one way that Nikk...
-
"The kids behind me laugh so loud I know they are laughing about me. I can't help myself. I turn around." The critical thinki...
-
"Without pain we couldn't know joy."(Green 272) This is a quote that Hazel says in The Fault in Our Stars when she lear...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like how you started out with a quote from the author as a hook for your story. It made your intro intriguing
ReplyDelete