Popular Posts
-
After reading "Growing Up Saudi" by Karen Elliot House, I believe that the author wants readers to learn about young people i...
-
One book I read over the summer was The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. This book is about two teenagers who live in 1997 ...
-
I am the color red. Of bricks that make up buildings before the sun lets them fade. The color that escapes when cuts bleed. Of h...
-
One thing I find inspirational is visual art. I think this inspires me because of my interest in it. One piece of artwork that I think ...
-
In my book "The Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick, the main character Pat Peoples has a mental illness called Bipolar...
-
After reading Flawless by Sara Shepard, I noticed that the author tries to show that death is an important issue in this book. The aut...
-
Childhood Memories My first time moving, food allergies, my little brother being born, and losing my first dog. New be...
-
"if the eye is a camera and the film is the heart then the photo assistant is god."(Giovanni 26-27) This is one way that Nikk...
-
"The kids behind me laugh so loud I know they are laughing about me. I can't help myself. I turn around." The critical thinki...
-
"Without pain we couldn't know joy."(Green 272) This is a quote that Hazel says in The Fault in Our Stars when she lear...
Sunday, June 1, 2014
Final Reading Response: The Fault In Our Stars
"Without pain we couldn't know joy."(Green 272) This is a quote that Hazel says in The Fault in Our Stars when she learns a lesson from Augustus when he dies.The book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is about two teenagers, Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster who fall in love despite the fact that she has cancer and his cancer is in remission. They met in a support group for people dealing with cancer, Augustus having had his leg amputated, but supposedly "cancer free" and Hazel who has to breathe with the support of an oxygen tank since the cancer in her lungs has caused them to fill with fluid. They are both friends with Isaac another support group member who is now "cancer free" but blind due to his second eye having to be removed. All three of these teenagers are coming of age, but with cancer as an extra obstacle they have to overcome in their lives.
Hazel and Augustus are star-crossed lovers, their love is fated to end tragically due to Augustus's death from cancer. When Augustus dies Hazel learns that pain is necessary which Augustus teaches her throughout the book. One example of this is where Augustus says "That's the thing about pain,'...'it demands to be felt."(Green 63) Another example of this is where Hazel reads the letter Augustus wrote to the author of "An Imperial Affliction" and he says "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you."(Green 313).
By the time Augustus accepts his impending death he learns to overcome his fear of oblivion. He admits he has this fear where he says "I fear oblivion,' he said without a moment's pause ' I fear it like the proverbial blind man who's afraid of the dark." (Green 12) Hazel teaches him to overcome this fear when she explains how to ignore it. she says "There will come a time ,' I said,' when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species did anything...And it inevitability of human oblivion worries you I encourage you to ignore it. God knows thats what everyone else does."(Green 13) Throughout the story Hazel teaches Augustus this lesson and he learns that he doesn't have to affect many people to be noticed before he dies, he only has to affect one person, Hazel.
In conclusion, Augustus, Hazel and Issac along with other young cancer survivors in The Fault in Our Stars have to deal with many obstacles and learn many lessons when coming of age, including the physical and emotional challenges of having to live with cancer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment