Popular Posts

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Summer Reading Book: The Future of Us

  One book I  read over the summer was The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. This book is about two teenagers who live in 1997 and one of them, Emma Nelson gets her first computer. She also gets a CD-ROM from her best friend (the other teenager) Josh Templeton. Once she downloads it she finds herself on a website she has never heard of called Facebook. She doesn't know about this website because it hasn't been invented yet.
  When it is invented Josh, her and their  other friends will join so they get to see all their futures now. They soon learn things about themselves and their friends . Also, every time they go on Facebook they learn their futures have changed slightly because of their actions that day. Emma learns who her husband is and that her marriage is unraveling. Josh learns his wife is the prettiest girl in school and that they will have children. Emma also learns that her other best friend is going to become pregnant before they all go to college. Soon Emma starts doing things on purpose to change her future like calling her future husband and kissing Josh. What she doesn't know is actions have consequences.
  I did enjoy this book but I had mixed reviews on how it was executed. One thing is that none of the characters are very likable. Emma is very unlikeable because she only cares about herself and almost destroys her friendship with Josh just so she can get what she wants. Josh is a better character than she is so that makes him easier to relate to but you don't get to know a lot about him. The other characters like Tyson, Kellan, and Graham also seem underdeveloped and I didn't learn much about their personalities now or in the future.
  I would recommend this book though. I think its one of those books that you have to read. I would recommend this to people who liked Thirteen Reasons Why also written by Jay Asher. I would also recommend this book to older people who would understand the 90's references better.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you described how some of the characters are unlikeable, since in most of the books you can relate to characters. I am currently reading this book and by knowing how these characters aren't much likeable, is making me more interested in the book because I want to know more of how the main characters, Emma and Josh are unlikeable since so far where I am up to they seem likeable to me right now. I like how you added particular details in your summary, like how Emma does stuff to fix the bad things that are gonna happen in the future, makes me want to read this book more to see what level Emma can go up to, for fixing her future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the way you described it, this sounds like a very enjoyable book to read. I liked how you described all the characters' personalities like that Emma is an unlikable person. And that you can relate to Josh ore because is a nicer person in general. you were also very descriptive especially in your second paragraph. Great job!

    ReplyDelete