The book I am currently reading is called Sold by Patricia McCormick. I notice that the main character, Lakshmi has some ideas that she lives by. I think that these ideas are themes in this book. One theme that I notice throughout the book is her idea that "Family is most important." I think this is a theme because this is a reoccurring idea in this book.
One example of this is one page one. On this page Lakshmi says "'Let me go to the city' I say. 'I can work for a rich family like Gita does, and send my wages home to you.'" She says this because her family needs a new tin roof because her father gambled away all the landlord's money. This shows that Lakshmi cares about her family enough to go alone into the city and work for a rich family of strangers.
Another example of this is on page fourty-eight where Lakshmi says "'This is good news, Ama,' I say, my voice full of boldness I did not know I had. 'There will be one less mouth to feed here, and I will send my wages home." This shows that Lakshmi is trying to convince her family to let her go because she cares a lot about her family.
Another example of this theme is on page ninety-four where Lakshmi gets to the 'Happiness House' and she is thinking about the things her family can buy with the money she got sold for. In the text she says "It seems as though Auntie Mumtaz is my new mistress. She is a strict one to be sure, but I will prove myself to her. And then my mother will have a new dress, shoes for the cold season, even a new shawl made of the finest yarn. My little brother will have fruit and curds twice a day and a jacket made of yak fur." This shows that Lakshmi cares more about her family and getting them the things they need than herself and proving herself to a strict new mistress.
In conclusion, one of the themes in the book Sold by Patricia McCormick is Lakshmi's idea that family is most important. Lakshmi shows this in her time at the 'Happiness House' and when she gets sold to Mumtaz.
Popular Posts
-
After reading "Growing Up Saudi" by Karen Elliot House, I believe that the author wants readers to learn about young people i...
-
One book I read over the summer was The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. This book is about two teenagers who live in 1997 ...
-
I am the color red. Of bricks that make up buildings before the sun lets them fade. The color that escapes when cuts bleed. Of h...
-
One thing I find inspirational is visual art. I think this inspires me because of my interest in it. One piece of artwork that I think ...
-
After reading Flawless by Sara Shepard, I noticed that the author tries to show that death is an important issue in this book. The aut...
-
Childhood Memories My first time moving, food allergies, my little brother being born, and losing my first dog. New be...
-
In my book "The Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick, the main character Pat Peoples has a mental illness called Bipolar...
-
"if the eye is a camera and the film is the heart then the photo assistant is god."(Giovanni 26-27) This is one way that Nikk...
-
"The kids behind me laugh so loud I know they are laughing about me. I can't help myself. I turn around." The critical thinki...
-
"Without pain we couldn't know joy."(Green 272) This is a quote that Hazel says in The Fault in Our Stars when she lear...
I liked how you stated quotes relating to the theme. It really makes it show that the book, Sold actually wants to make the reader realize what the theme of this book is. I also liked the way you organized your quotes. It made it easy to read and understand the evidence, the book has towards the theme.
ReplyDelete