Popular Posts

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Wintergirls: Second Critical Thinking Question

I chose the critical thinking question 'What really hard things are happening in this text? Are these things happening in the world now? Where?' I chose this same question because I would like to know if there were any similarities between the texts because they are both by the same author.
     I noticed some hard issues in this text such as Anorexia, bullying, death, and self harm. In this text the main character, Lia deals with many of these issues and her best friend Cassie does too. Lia deals with Anorexia because she has had it for a long time. She starves herself, counts calories, weighs herself a lot, sets unhealthy weight 'goals', and other unhealthy habits. She deals with her best friend's death, too. Lia also harms herself on purpose by cutting herself. She cuts words and gashes into herself with razorblades.
     Cassie has had bulimia and she has been bullied. One cause of her bulimia could have been being bullied. She was bullied because of her weight and size. This could have lowered her self esteem.
     These issues do happen in the world between most people. Anorexia and Bulimia affects many people especially victims bullied because of their weight like Cassie. Bullying affects many people like children in public schools like these characters. Self harm is like eating disorders as it can affect victims of bullying and people who don't feel good about themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment