In my book "The Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick, the main character Pat Peoples has a mental illness called Bipolar Disorder. He has had this illness for over four years. His illness has caused him to act very impulsively which led him being led into a mental institution for the last four years.
Before he was in the mental institution, he lived with his wife, Nikki. He loved her much more than she loved him. Because of this cheated on Pat and his mental illness caused him to nearly kill his wife's lover. This shows that with bipolar disorder Pat is not stable and is dangerous to be around before he was in the mental institution.
Pat also doesn't realize what horrible things he's done because he doesn't remember them until the climax. I think part of it is because he doesn't remember, but also I think he chooses to block his bad experiences out. I think he tries to block 'bad' things out and thinks about silver linings to his problems because in the text he says" 'Just as soon as apart time ends' I say,and his face falls as if I said I was going to kill his wife, Natalie, and their three blond-haired daughters-Kristen, Jenny, and Becky-because that's how much he does not believe in silver linings, making it his business to preach apathy and negativity and pessimism unceasingly." This shows that he thinks others are negative and apathetic when they are just trying to be realistic.
I think not only does Pat not focus on unfortunate things, but he also can get violent or extremely emotional about them. I think this because in the text, after he finishes Hemingway's 'A Farewell to Arms' he says " I am crying so hard at the end, partly for the characters, yes, but also because Nikki actually teaches this book to children."This shows that Pat blocks out negativity which, sometimes doesn't seem healthy because he needs to learn to accept some of it and become realistic.
In conclusion, Pat Peoples in the book 'The Silver Linings Playbook' is affected a lot by his mental illness and what they taught him in the mental institution, which is not all good. Throughout this book he learns to be more open to things not going as planned and learns to cope with it.
Popular Posts
-
After reading "Growing Up Saudi" by Karen Elliot House, I believe that the author wants readers to learn about young people i...
-
One book I read over the summer was The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. This book is about two teenagers who live in 1997 ...
-
I am the color red. Of bricks that make up buildings before the sun lets them fade. The color that escapes when cuts bleed. Of h...
-
One thing I find inspirational is visual art. I think this inspires me because of my interest in it. One piece of artwork that I think ...
-
In my book "The Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick, the main character Pat Peoples has a mental illness called Bipolar...
-
After reading Flawless by Sara Shepard, I noticed that the author tries to show that death is an important issue in this book. The aut...
-
Childhood Memories My first time moving, food allergies, my little brother being born, and losing my first dog. New be...
-
"if the eye is a camera and the film is the heart then the photo assistant is god."(Giovanni 26-27) This is one way that Nikk...
-
"The kids behind me laugh so loud I know they are laughing about me. I can't help myself. I turn around." The critical thinki...
-
"Without pain we couldn't know joy."(Green 272) This is a quote that Hazel says in The Fault in Our Stars when she lear...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
l liked how you put your opinions and thoughts of how and why Pat doesn't realize the bad things he has done. Also the description of what he wants to do and how his actions are effecting other characters in the book, are really stated clearly. The way you organized the response, made it easy to read and understand of how the character is and how he reacted in parts of the book. Overall the character Pat's issues in this book, that you described very well, really makes interest for new readers ( Like me!) to read this book.
ReplyDelete